Thursday, July 29, 2010

You are the Future: Poem by Matt

The future

Words dangle from lips
like suicide jumpers.

Throats are dry, hands are moist
Butterflies make their choice
to build their home in my stomach.

Their flight path makes me queasy,
but please believe me I’d have it no other way. ,
It was the first day.
Tongue tied, tangled, twisted up in translations
I had nothing to say.
and even less to write.

My mind has gone blank.
it’s the spitting image of my notebook...
it’s blank.

I’ve been thinking and writing down lines in my head
for days on end but when it comes to the pen,
I can’t make it move.
I’m stuck in this lethargic groove
of nothingness.
As I stare at the blank pages I confess
this white noise is making me deaf
to the sound of inspiration.
My concentration is a split separation
between morning classes
afternoon games
and much more of the same
Repeat.
Try to find and slow down the beat
of our hearts so they begin to pump as one.
This might be the end of the camp but the journey has just begun.

Our lives intertwine,
cross-cultural country combinations.
Never to be forgotten,
Always to be remembered as celebrations.

Bonds of love are strong
and build bridges that can never be burned.
As I turn and lock eyes with the faces in the crowd
I must confess the feelings in my heart and express them aloud.

You are the future!
You hold the key!
Find the love in your hearts and release it for me,

express it to the world for everyone to see.

It’s time for a change:
one that's been a long time coming.
We all have the tools so lets hit the ground running.

Unite our cultures.
one love from above
Bob Marley used to sing.
At this moment in time
we have the opportunity to make it the real thing.

Don’t lose contact with each other
keep the fire burning strong
write a letter
send an e-mail
paint a picture
compose a song

Remember what we’ve learned
in our classes, on the street,
from our teachers, from our friends,
from everyone we meet.

I am the teacher but alas
i am also the student.
i have learned as much from you
as you have from me. And I guarantee
each and everyone of you are destined to succeed.

Presidents and doctors.
Poets and photographers.
Etc. etc. etc.

As the weeks have gone by
I have glimpsed the future in the corner of my eye
and i can confidently say without a shadow of a doubt
or a sprinkle of a lie.
That you will make a difference!

Combine our minds
and try to find a cure for the illness of our time.
The sickness is strong,
but our course is unstoppable.
Once united we can not be divided.

Remember the good times;
Big -booty, big-booty, ah yeah a big-booty.
Practicing yoga in the rain.
Strengthening our muscles while expanding our brains
to attain the next level of consciousness.
Which I feel we have reached.
Now it’s time to bond together and try to breech
that gap that lays between love and life.
So that one day your children, your husband or wife
can walk down the road hand and hand at night
and not be afraid.

This is the path we’ve paved together.
With love as our foundation and
peace as our inspiration
We will change the world!
You will make a difference!

You all are extremely gifted
in every sense of the word.
And, it would be absurd
if I didn't convey this to you.

Be proud of who you are
because I most definitely am.
Hopefully one day in the future
we will meet again.

Thank you
Hvala
Gracias
Sag ol
Dyaku u
Faleminderit
Madloba
Achiu
Merci
Rahmet
Blagadaria
Namaste


-Matthew Piscitelli


No comments:

Post a Comment